Data Minding- The Persuaders (NOT CLICKBAIT! I SWEAR!)

Howdy folk!

Howdy again! Welcome to Fletcher Bloggo. YEE HAW!

Today we will be talking about The Persuaders. In the Persuaders a tactic called Data minding is talked about, and how it's sued in the advertisement in our everyday life. Data minding is the practice of examining large databases in order to generate new information. In simpler words, if you shopped on amazon for a fork, you'll start seeing ads for forks on websites and emails. It's creepy.

Some tactics that are used to Data minding the American consumer, tracking patterns, Classification, Association, Outlier detection, Clustering, Regression, Prediction. Scary to think that someone knows everything about you based on your search history. Keep that private brokers up boys and those YouTube videos G, or it all could be used against you. Hahaha just little joke is kinda funny. Linked below is the 9 laws concerning the process of Data minding and how it's not illegal. Scary huh!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/metabrown/2016/01/27/9-laws-for-data-analytics-profits/#5311e1dd16e0

We've all had our run ins with Data minding. For example, last weekend I was looking at glasses on Warby and Parker (cause I got bad sigh I guess), and after I ordered a pair I started seeing adds for the exact glasses I looked at on Quizlet. Then I started seeing ads on YouTube and other cites.

This just creeped me out that they knew that I was looking at glasses and managed to advertise the one that I was actually buying. Just spooky!

Alright well this was the end of our ride, thank you for doing me!
Anda as always...
SEE YA MY FELLOW REDNECKS!!
-Fletcher Lux

Comments

  1. I totally agree that datamining is kind of creepy! Do you think the ads that you're getting from datamining are actually affecting your judgement very much, though? I think datamining can be kind of ineffective when it is being used like how you experienced it, because the product you're getting advertisements for is already one that you've been interested in. Therefore, I don't think this type of datamining is very effective at getting people to purchase products.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

a fishing experience buds.

My Relationship with Media. Media Blog 1 (NOT CLICKBAIT!!!!!)